Ethical Worldwide suppliers of Ancient Coins to the US, UK and Europe.
Welcome to Crusty Romans
Crusty Romans is an established online supplier of ethically obtained un cleaned coins. We actively promote the hobby of collecting, cleaning, and attributing crusties that are 1000’s of years old. It allows people to hold part of history in their own hands that can often lead to interesting and valuable discoveries. We only purchase stock ethically, and all our orders shipped outside of the UK come with full export approvals unlike most of the other dealers.
We specialise in unclean Roman and Ancient coins known affectionately as “Crusties”. We buy complete Roman, Greek and Islamic Hoards of coins and then sell them by weight in an unclean state. We pride ourselves on good supply sources that mean that we can purchase good Hoards of coins directly from the country of origin.
You can choose the Hoard that you would like to purchase your unclean Roman and Ancient coins from with absolutely nothing taken out. Each Hoard is different so the prices of each Hoard vary based on the quality, size and variety of it when we purchase it.
All cultural goods outside of the EU are supplied with full EU export approval from the English Arts Council.
The benefit of buying from us
Firstly we only purchase quality and complete Hoards in bulk. This means that no one has sorted all the best, thickest, biggest, or premium coins out before selling the remaining Roman and Ancient coins.
Because we leave everything in the Hoards without cherry picking or sorting them in any way, it means that we get a lot of repeat business from our customers. Our reputation is based on being able to buy in sizeable quantity complete unclean Hoards from our suppliers without messing around. Because of the quantity of Hoards we buy as well as our spending power we are the first call for a wide range of suppliers from all over the world.
We are not interested in removing or sorting our Hoards in any way we simply source them then sell them as they come in as found in lots by weight.
Why collect uncleaned coins?
It is a great source of prospecting for ancient history; it is also one of the most accessible ways to potentially find some unseen history or potentially valuable items from the comfort of your own home.
What do people do with them after they are clean?
It really does depend on the person; some people just enjoy looking at them. Some people attribute them and research the history behind them, and others attribute them and sell them on places like Ebay.
Why it is better to buy unclean Roman coins by weight?
It is far better to buy your unclean Roman coins by weight for a number of important reasons.
- If you buy unclean Roman coins in counted lots it means that someone has sorted through them when they have counted them and probably taken all of the best ones out.
- Generally speaking the best coins are larger, thicker and earlier examples. The counted lots that are commonly sold generally comprise of low quality, extremely small common pieces. So if you want more variety truly unsorted lots then buying by weight is the only way!
- Because all of our Hoards are completely untouched it means that you really can find some rare and valuable coins. It also means that you can purchase from a Hoard that offers good variety or quality.
- From each Hoard we take fifty coins at random and clean them to show you the types and quality of coins to be found in that particular Hoard.
- We are based in the UK and all of our stock listed is physical, have a look in the Gallery for proof. We offer great customer service and aim to dispatch all orders within two working days.
- There is NO import duty when you buy from us in Europe unlike buying from USA or non European countries.
Stock Notice Sold Out Within 24 Hours These are absolutely beautiful premium grade Silver Denarius, they are all lovely coins without e...
Out of stock
From $94.66 to $1,115.06Stock Notice Over 50% Already Sold This is a great mainly Greek hoard; it is very dusty but even after a simple rinse under the tap you...
From $60.97 to $778.13Agron is a 23Kg predominantly later Roman hoard with a very small number of other coins mixed in. I would think this hoard dates from a...
From $64.18 to $802.20Stock Notice Over 80% Sold Naevia is a nice 17.5Kg hoard of coins; it is made up from a good selection of early Roman and Greek coins. ...